Privacy and policy
SHL commitment to protect your privacy
Our commitment in respect of personal information is to abide by the Australian Privacy Principles for the protection of personal information, as set out in the Privacy Act and any other relevant laws.
When SHL refer to personal information it means information from which your identity is reasonably apparent. This information may include information or an opinion about you.
The kinds of personal information we may collect about you include your name, date of birth, address, email address, phone number, account details, occupation, and any other information we made need to identify you.
If you are applying for finance we may also collect the ages and number of your dependants and cohabitants, the length of time at your current address, your employment details and proof of earnings and expenses.
The personal information we collect and hold about you may include credit information. Credit information is information which is used to assess your eligibility to be provided with finance and may include any finance that you have outstanding, your repayment history in respect of those loans, and any defaults. Usually, credit information is exchanged between credit and finance providers and credit reporting bodies.
Management of personal information
We will manage personal information, including credit information, in an open and transparent manner. In doing so, we ensure that individuals are notified at the time of collecting their personal information:
• what type of personal information is being collected;
• who that personal information will be disclosed to; and
• How we use that personal information.
Why we collect your personal information
We collect personal information for the purposes of assessing your application for finance and managing that finance. We may also collect your personal information for the purposes of direct marketing and managing our relationship with you. From time to time we may offer you other products and services.
• arranging and assessing an application for credit;
• managing credit;
• providing individuals with the products or services they have requested;
• managing our relationship with individuals;
• protecting individuals and ourselves from error or fraud; or
• complying with regulatory requirements.
We may collect sensitive information from individuals when they apply for an insurance related product. We only collect sensitive information directly from the individual and with the individual’s consent. We may also collect sensitive information when it has been provided as part of a loan application. Any sensitive information that is collected in this way is only used for the purpose, for which it is provided.
How do we collect your personal information?
Where reasonable and practical we will collect your personal information directly from you. We may also collect your personal information from credit reporting bodies, finance brokers and other people such as accountants, lawyers and referees.
Unsolicited personal information
If we receive unsolicited personal information we will determine whether we could have collected that personal information by lawful and fair means, and whether it is related to one of the purposes of collecting personal information above. We will do this by looking at our relationship with the individual and whether the personal information relates to our relationship with them. If we could not have collected the personal information by lawful and fair means, or the personal information does not relate to one of our purposes for collecting the personal information, we will destroy the personal information.
Sensitive information is any information about a person’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinion, membership of a political association, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, sexual preferences or practices, criminal record or health information. We will not ask you to disclose sensitive information, but if you elect to provide sensitive information it will also be captured and stored.
How do we disclose your personal information?
We may disclose your personal information:
• to prospective funders or other intermediaries in relation to your finance requirements;
• to other organisations that are involved in managing or administering your finance such as third party suppliers, printing and postal services, call centres, lenders mortgage insurers, trade insurers and credit reporting bodies;
• to associated businesses that may want to market products to you;
• to companies that provide information and infrastructure systems to us;
• to anybody who represents you, such as finance brokers, lawyers and accountants;
• to anyone, where you have provided us consent;
• where we are required to do so by law, such as under the Anti-Money or Laundering and Courter Terrorism Financing Act 2006 (Cth) or in accordance with a subpoena or summons issued by a court;
• to investors, agents or advisers, or any entity that has an interest in our business; or
• to your employer, referees or identity verification services.
Prior to disclosing any of your personal information to another person or organisation, we will take all reasonable steps to satisfy ourselves that:
(a) The person or organisation has a commitment to protecting your personal information at least equal to our commitment, or
(b) You have consented to us making the disclosure.
Information from third parties
Our website also contains links to the websites of third party providers of goods and services (Third Party websites). If you have accessed Third Party websites through our website and if those third parties collect information about you, we may also collect or have access to that information as part of our arrangements with those third parties Where you access a Third Party website from our website, cookie information, information about your preferences or other information you have provided about yourself may be shared between us and the third party.
Advertising and tracking
When you view our advertisements on a Third Party website, the advertising company uses ‘cookies’ and in some cases ‘web beacons’ to collect information such as:
• the server your computer is logged onto;
• your browser type;
• the date and time of your visit; and
• the performance of their marketing efforts.
When you access our website after viewing one of our advertisements on a Third Party website, the advertising company collects information on how you utilise our website (for example, which pages you view) and whether you complete an online form.
SHL is a member of the Credit Ombudsman Services Limited (COSL). If you have been unable to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction, you can refer your complaint to COSL by visiting their website www.cosl.com.au or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
For any further information about the way we manage your personal or credit information by contacting us at email@example.com.